Monday, October 29, 2007

How NOT to advertise your services

 

I have to say that I'm particularly disapointed to see the 1-800-GOT-JUNK guys doing this.

As a company that I've always had a lot of respect for, it really depressed me to see this last night.

For a few years now we've all seen those damn "ebosa dot com" (I don't even want them to get a plug or link out of this post) signs posted to our lamp posts all around the lower mainland.

I'm not sure why the city doesn't fine these people, but of course, since it doesn't, I see that it has encouraged other unthinking small business owners into this ugly and intrusive form of advertising.

Stapling your crappy sign to every lamp post at every major intersection may in fact give you more visibility, but is it the right kind of visibility?

I can assure you that I go out of my way NOT to patron business that do this as I find it intrusive and offensive. Using a city lamp post to run renegade ads on is like visual spam, it's not effective and if anything creates a negative image about your business.

While I'll grant you that the got junk sign is a nicer vinyl cut, they're not placing themselves in the same category as yardsale guy with the magic marker. Not how I saw them 'till now.

I hope that the city starts to crack down on this, otherwise everything from plumbers to lawncare guys will be poluting the landscape with their crappy 4 x 9 vinyl cut signs (or worse, magic marker guy on the bottom).

If it's in front of a house where there is work being done, fine, I understand that, with the permission of the owner, your roofing company stuck up a sign for a couple of weeks... OK... but hanging out on the corner by the gas station has a whole other conotation to it.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Movie & TV Show Preview Widget