Saturday, December 23, 2006

Why MCE sucks


OK, I just spent the last half hour trying to figure out why the TV shows that i recorded on my Media Center Edition PC, can't be watched over my internal network on my laptop.

Now grant you my laptop is not MCE, but wouldn't it seem like a common requirement that if you have a Digital File Repository (I have 4 drives running RAID striped and mirrored... so I'll never again loose those kid photo's or my ever growing music collection) you would be able to access it over your network.

So i look on Microsoft's site... to find out how to watch MCE shows on my laptop?

Their brilliant suggestion is to drag the file to my laptop over the network, copy it locally and run it from my local drive.

OK... besides the obvious digital file pollution that is being promoted here (do I need 2 copies of the file? no!) doesn't this go against the whole concept of a networked home?

I want freedom with my files, not restrictions...

I won't even get into the fact that the TV shows that I record won't burn to DVD (so I can take them with me, like the promo says you can?) since they are "protected" ? Didn't they just send them out over the airways and get money from the network? Shouldn't I be allowed to watch it when and where i want?

For these and several other reasons, I'm still looking for a DRM free media center like solution.

Any suggestions?

No comments:

Movie & TV Show Preview Widget