Wednesday, March 19, 2008

When Free info is not free


I have to say that lately this is something that's starting to bug me.

The old "FREE REPORT" game.

In this case it was click tracks although they are not the only ones by any means, they're just the ones that I'm focusing my laser beam like rant at.

It's not free info, if I have to give you my full email, mailing, name and SIN number (ok, not the SIN, but everything else).

Let's be honest, my lead info is actually a commodity that they would gladly pay for. Knowing that I am interested in the subject matter alone is enough to place me in the "qualified lead" category.

What's a qualified lead worth in the business intelligence market?

I don't know, but I assure you that it's probably a lot more than $5 per lead... the going "trade show contact" accepted metric.

So in fact, it's not free information if I have to pay with my contact info now is it? Let's be honest.

I think apple's got it right, if you download quicktime or itunes you'll notice they want the lead info, but it won't stop you from downloading it if you don't give it to them - they still want you to have the information / platform / software / mind share... The form looks like you have to mind you, so I'm sure they have a high rate of opt in.. but that's OK, and they're not calling it "FREE INFORMATION" and then harvesting your lead info from you.

(I didn't download the report in case you're wondering - someone post the link to del.icio.us would you?)

No comments:

Movie & TV Show Preview Widget